[iyonix-support] Re: New 5.14 ROM on Iyonix

  • From: jonathan cobb <jcobbsyd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 09:46:38 +0000 (GMT)

--- On Thu, 30/4/09, Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

From: Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [iyonix-support] Re: New 5.14 ROM on Iyonix
To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thursday, 30 April, 2009, 11:01 AM

In message <817c0a5450.alan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Dr Alan Leighton <alan.leighton2@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <efc8fd5350.pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           Dr Peter Young <pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]

>> Sounds good, but for the benefit of the ignorant, where would "in the
>> early boot sequence" be? PreDesk perhaps? Sorry to be dense.

> And for the real dense how do you do it? On text file?

There must be some misunderstanding here. The above discussion is
about an expert-only non-standard (and in my opinion pointless) way of
using this upgrade, which is to softload the new ROM each time you
boot. If you do not feel like you can set this up yourself simply
ignore it, you do not need it.

We have two easy user-friendly ways of using this upgrade:

Either softload the ROM to try it out in the current session. Involves
double-clicking on go514 in the softload archive. Easy.

Or, flashing the new ROM permanently. Involves double-clicking on the
ROM programmer in the flash upgrade archive and then clicking on "Full
ROM" in the dialogue box that pops up. Again easy.

Martin
Martin Wuerthner           MW Software          lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Easy! Or more likely I'm doing something wrong.
I have risc os 5.12 on the Aria Iyonix and the standard bundled software.
However, I bought the disc with 5.14 and 5.15 at Wakefield and loaded it onto
the hard drive then located go514 in the softload directory and doubled
clicked. The computer crashed and did not respond to anything I did except
pressing the reset button. Hey presto back to os 5,12! I've since been trying
various 'tricks' since such as moving the AcornC/C++ directory to the 514
directory but not opening and double clicking the go514 file same result.
Repeating the process but opening AcornC/C++ directory beforehand which was
disastrous as I could no longer use the reset button and had to turn the
computer off at the mains while the hard disc was running. Thank you in
anticipation.
Jon