[iyonix-support] Re: Looking for errors in !Boot with Reporter (fwd)

  • From: Martin <Martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2010 23:46:39 +0000 (GMT)

On 04 Feb, in article <201002041605.o14G5NhQ033259@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   Andrew Mallin-Jones <andrewmj@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> One small amendment to Steve Fryatt's excellent instructions,
> especially for those unused to looking around in !Boot might be the
> following.

> After choosing Bootlog and choosing your customisation you might get an
> error message when you click Save. This can be caused by the access
> settings on your $.!Boot.!Run file. If this happens to you Shift
> double click !Boot, Menu over the !Run file and check the Access
> settings. If Protected is ticked click on Unprotected. Then Reporter's
> Save button will work.

If this is common, then I can arrange for Reporter to unlock it, change
it and lock it again. Now I know about it!

> I have no idea why my !Boot.!Run was protected, perhaps it seemed like
> a good idea many years ago (and I take the point about comments!).

Trouble is, many of us installed RISC OS so long ago it is difficult
remembering exactly what was done and why!

Martin

--
Martin Avison      using a British Iyonix running RISC OS 5
                   and the Pluto mail and newsreader