[iyonix-support] Iyonix not booting up after power removal

  • From: Barry Smith <baz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 21:50:23 +0100

I've read many posts about hardware problems (psu's etc).
I'm not sure if they match the problems I'm having.

New psu last year, new CMOS battery late last year.

Normally runs 24/7. Occaisionally freezes. Mostly when using Netsurf.
Maybe with HTML and/or javascript that Netsurf doesn't like? Reset
brings things back to normal.

Doing some house wiring (13A ring main) the Iyonix was powered down.

Reapplying power there was no USB (keyboard or mouse leds not lit) and
no video. Also the floppy drive didn't 'chunk-chunk', but the CD drive
does do something.

Eventually, after many attempts at reset or power removal, it started
working and booted up correctly.

I've re-seated the usb, video (=graphics?) and TV cards. This gave
some improvement when I next had to remove and restore power, but
maybe it was just coincidence.

I don't have the psu details to hand but it was bought from a
reputable firm in Worthing so I'm assuming of good quality.

I'm assuming the CMOS battery is ok and wouldn't cause this
not-booting problem anyway.

Is it worth trying another psu?
I have a DMM so could check the 5v line, but only for DC, not any
other nasties like ripple.

Any/all suggestions welcome.

Barry