[iyonix-support] Re: Iyonix network lock out

  • From: Frank de Bruijn <iyonix-support-sub@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 13:53:42 +0200

In article
<49763.93.93.222.207.1334054310.squirrel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   Alan Adams <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> How is your DNS configured on the iyonix?

Manually with the actual nameserver addresses, but that's not the
point...

> The way DNS works is that it always uses the first configured server
> unless it is unreachable, when it tries the next one. It should
> timeout after 2 minutes if there is no response. My suspicion is that
> it cannot connect to the first server, but fails to time-out the
> connection.

As I mentioned earlier, when the Iyonix' network is out, even pinging
the router or the other machines by IP address doesn't work. Pinging it
from the other machines doesn't work either, while they can still
contact everything else.

It's really a complete lock out. For instance, firing up a POP3 client
will result in the DNS lookup timing out, trying to connect to a
development webserver on another machine on the LAN (hostname in hosts
file, so no external lookup) will fail with a connection timeout, as
will trying to reach WebJames running on the Iyonix[1] from another
machine. For all intents and purposes, the network interface isn't there
(and before you ask, the Internet module is, because calling Socket SWIs
does not produce an error).

Regards,
Frank

P.S. Connection still up without interruption. More than 60 hours now.
     Looks promising...

[1]  I'm not entirely sure right now, but I seem to remember that
     restarting WebJames does not produce an error, so I suppose any
     Socket_Listen call it would make does not error either.