[iyonix-support] Re: Iyonix network lock out

  • From: Alan Adams <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2012 20:19:27 +0100

In message <527d247335Paul@xxxxxxxx>
          Paul Sprangers <Paul@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In article <527d1ab72diyonix-support-sub@xxxxxxxxx>,
>    Frank de Bruijn <iyonix-support-sub@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>    Link is up; 1000 Mbps Full Duplex

> A bit off topic, but how did you manage to get the full 1000 Mbps setup?
> Mine sticks at 100 Mbps. Do I need a special router for that, or maybe even
> special network cables? Both the Mac and the Windows 7 laptops in our LAN,
> connected to the same router and cables, nevertheless achieve much higher
> download speeds than my honourable, yet somewhat feeble Iyonix.

You'll get 1GBit if connected to a switch port that does 1GBit.
However this will have no detectable effect on download speed - that
is determined by the slowest link in the chain, almost always the
broadband itself.

There are a number of things that might cause the Iyonix to download
slower on the same connection. Two that spring to mind are windowing,
and multiple connections.

Windowing is the thing that allows a number of packets to be sent to
you before an acknowledgement is needed (the same thing that brings
shareFS to its knees if permitted). On a link with high end-to-end
delays it can significantly improve throughput. I have never seen a
way to adjust it on an Iyonix (because I haven't looked), and I'd be a
little wary of experimenting.

The other occurs when downloading a site with multiple parts, such as
embedded graphics. Different browsers limit the number of concurrent
fetches - Firefox on Windows seems to have the limit set to 8 for
example. Again it's not a setting I've played with.

Alan

--
Alan Adams, from Northamptonshire
alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx