[iyonix-support] Re: Iyonix and Wi-Fi

  • From: Alan Adams <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2010 12:30:25 +0100

In message <5166ff1b1ftim@xxxxxxxxx>
          Tim Hill <tim@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In article <ecb6b96651.Alan.Adams@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>    Alan Adams <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> 1  cable the iyonix to the router. The maximum cable length is
>> 100metres, so it doesn't have to be in the same room, but you will
>> have to find a cable route.

> Some people forget these can go outside which can sometimes be the
> easiest route to another room but a moulded cable requires large holes
> for access.

The standard cable is specified as indoor only. If you run it outside
it may degrade over time (years) because of water ingress.

You can get (with difficulty) outdoor cable, but it's usually in
1000ft reels, for installers to use.

<snip>

> In one case I have used homeplugs to replace USB dongles and in another,
> they replace a WEA. That ought to say something. In fact I have always
> found USB dongles to be weak and near useless through a single wall and
> though WEA's provide a stronger signal (they have antennae) they can be
> overcome by distance and obstacles, sometimes succumbing to the inverse
> square law as if it were an inverse cube law.  ;-)

> Homeplugs get my vote. Hope this helps.

From the point of view of performance and reliabiility the order of
preference is wire, Homeplug, wireless.

The ONLY advantage of wireless is mobility. If you aren't moving the
computer around, you're better off with something else.

--
Alan Adams, from Northamptonshire
alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx