[iyonix-support] Re: Iyonix Hardware additions

  • From: Steve Bradbury <steve.bradbury@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2008 09:34:55 GMT

In message <f03afd694f.MThompson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Matthew Thompson <mt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Mouse

Personally I use a Logitech trackball, for which !HID supports the 5
buttons.

Trackballs are not to everyone's taste, but it'll be worth looking
through their (and other manufacturer's) ranges to see if there's
anything suitable in the mouse range.

I don't generally like the scroll wheel buttons (including the one on
the trackball) because they usually need a lot more pressure than normal
buttons which makes them uncomfortable to use, particularly for
something as frequent as <menu>. With extra buttons you can use !HID to
configure any (or all) of them as <menu>.

There are a _lot_ of different designs out there. You might do well to
drop in to PC World or similar just to try some out for feel. You can be
fairly confident that any USB models will work with the IYO since the
mouse USB spec is pretty consistent across manufacturers.

>MP3 player

This one's trickier. You'll need one that works properly as USB mass
storage without needing custom software to transfer files. You will
certainly not be able to use anything bigger than the 2GB limit which
dosfs imposes.

I have to admit I've never used my ipod with iyonix or RISC-PC. It would
be interesting to investigate, maybe porting the tools available for
linux, but unfortunately I only have Iyonices at work and my RPC at home
does not have usb

--
Steve Bradbury
ADE Senior Structural Engineer