[iyonix-support] Re: It's very quiet, isn't it?

  • From: David Pitt <pittdj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2008 09:17:22 GMT

In message <f8de3d7c4f.acld75@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  george <george.greenfield@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>In message <6abe337c4f.pittdj+@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>          David Pitt <pittdj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> In message <4f7bf3782cmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>   John <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>[snip]
>>
>> I have been thinking something rather similar. It is not just Castle, it
>> seems quiet everywhere, traffic on RISC OS mailing lists and newsgroups
>> is very low.
>>
>> There is one question skulking around in the background. If my Iyonix
>> had to be replaced what would I replace it with. Buying another Iyonix
>> now is hardly progress.
>>
>> It is quiet.
>
>On the hardware front, sure, but generally, things seem reasonably
>active to me, with key apps (Firefox, Thump, StrongEd, KinoAmp) being
>visibly developed, and (I suspect) more going on behind the scenes
>with ROOL and Netsurf, for example. OTOH the platform's supporters are
>ageing (cf Mike Glover retiring), and there is no evidence yet of a
>breakthrough into another major market area, which was one of the main
>drivers behind the ROOL initiative. But I remain hopeful.

One hopeful sign that I see is that there are younger people in the
platform, one of the attractive things about RISC OS is that it it good
to programme in.

>As to what to replace the Iyonix with, VARPC running on a fast Wintel
>or Mac box is probably the only way to get a jump in speed at present:
>I find my Iyo does everything I need it to, and has the major
>advantage of /not/ being a Wintel computer. Having owned an XP laptop
>for 18 months now, I would be very reluctant to rely on it for all my
>computing. But the performance superiority of VARPC/Wintel is a
>problem for new native hardware, which would have to show a
>substantial improvement to warrant development.

I have tried VRPC and found it to be very disappointing on Vista.
Certainly it had a turn of speed on my laptop, it was in that respect
very similar to the Iyonix, but there were just too many issues some of
which were VRPC v Vista and some more that may be VRPC v laptop. RISC OS
is back on the Iyonix and all is well here now. The Iyonix is a fine
machine and I have other systems to do what RISC OS does not. So respect
to the Iyonix and I wish it a long life, so that the question of what to
replace it with be not put.

--
David Pitt

Using a Castle Iyonix running RISC OS 5.