[iyonix-support] Re: Interrupt failure in EtherK module (revisited)

  • From: Rik Griffin <rik.griffin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2007 16:25:32 GMT

In message <45CAFD5F.7040409@xxxxxxxxxx>
          John <jwb@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Rik Griffin wrote:
> > I seem to remember the original problem (from this time last year) did
> > not stop all network activity, not sure why but some connections
> > continued to function.
> >

> the problem that was fixed was a 'small time window' where a n/w
> interrupt got missed -  resulting in the IRQ line on which the n/w chip
> sits, and incidentally one of the usb channels, being disabled.
>
> re-enabling this let things continue I understand.
>
> this was an etherk specific issue.. n/w stuff not using etherk was not
> directly affected, though might have had issues with 'knock on' effects.
>
> Where do we seem to stand here?

My RISC OS 5.12 test machine suffered a failure today. The symptoms were
that one USB port (the one sharing IRQ 59 with the ethernet device) stopped
working. Unfortunately, I tried reenabling IRQ 59, to see if this is the
same problem as we saw last year, and that stiffed the machine. So I had no
chance to gather further information this time round.

Hmm, hang on a moment, can you call HAL routines from USR mode? Rereading
the docs suggests not. So it might be that reenabling the IRQ failed
because of my code. Will report back when this happens again.

--
Rik Griffin
Software Engineer, Denbridge Marine Ltd