[iyonix-support] Re: First view of ROM 5.13

  • From: george <george.greenfield@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2007 20:38:13 GMT

In message <4ebf739475gary@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Gary Locock <gary@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In article <4ebf2cc60fp_dowson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>    Peter Dowson <p_dowson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> In article <4ebf02a744asg@xxxxxxxxxx>,
>>    Peter Burt <asg@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > In article <ab5ffabe4e.acld75@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>> >    george <george.greenfield@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[snip]

> IIRC this kind of reset is not advisable on RO5 -?  In the case of scanner
> freezes, alt-break is the worst you should need to do to get it working IME.

Unfortunately not. Alt-break is completely ineffective in this case.

[snip

> Since !USBKick, I've never had to go this far to get the scanner recognised
> (3 Epson 2400 scanners, RO 5.11, USBHID 0.45) though the messages and freezes
> are familiar enough.  Since !USBKick doesn't help you, it sounds like a
> 'non-standard' problem that lies a little deeper. Do follow Ian Hamilton's
> suggestions in his contribution to this thread.
Will do, but the key point is that with the mouse in non-!HID mode,
these problems do not arise. Something in !HID therefore is reacting
badly in my setup with !DPingScan or the scanner itself.

>> > I am using same scanner & HID as George. Classic, 5.13 - same problem,
>> > but no probs on shutdown.
>
>> I was using the same scanner for two years with several rom images up to
>> 5.11 also running Hid for keyboard and mouse control of my Logitech usb
>> setup since purchase of the Iyonix, never had the scanner lockup except
>> with one rom version early on and hardly had any shut down problems except
>> the odd program crash.
>
> Mmmmm.  TBH I don't think the shutdown issue is connected with the scanner
> freezes, except in the sense that the USB system is -erm- incompletely
> debugged.  !HID possibly is linked.  One could point to numerous instances of
> (I think) fairly straightforward USB devices, that don't behave perfectly
> when hooked up to an Iyonix. At one time we were jolly grateful to have these
> devices working at all, but it would be nice to have the bugs sorted out now.

Somewhat off-topic I know, but another USB 'issue' I have is with
copying files from a USB cardreader. The reader in question is a
TwinMOS USB 2.0 device. I experience regular but random machine
freezes during copying, sometimes after half a dozen files, sometimes
after 50 or more. Typical file size is 3.3Mb, they're all JPEGs. Next
is set to 9600k, but changing it makes no difference, nor does opting
for 'Fast' or 'Slow' copying. It's extraordinarily irritating
(especially when one of my reboots resulted in a corrupted card
containing 30 60th birthday pics) as there is no discernible pattern
to the freezes, therefore no apparent combination of circumstances to
be avoided. Could this be a bug in the USB system?

> I pay tribute to Ian Hamilton's work; !USBKick is indispensible and runs on
> all our machines on every boot.

Heartily seconded.

> I'm sure that !Scankick will help with the
> scanner problems mentioned above, but I will stick with !USBKick because it
> has also eliminated the problem we had with a proportion of keyboards not
> working after a reboot. Bound to say though, neither of Ian's programs should
> be necessary in an ideal world, -nor for that matter should !HID.
>
> Gary

Agreed.

George