[iyonix-support] Re: First view of ROM 5.13

  • From: Gary Locock <gary@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2007 18:06:39 +0000 (GMT)

In article <17db65be4e.steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   Steve Fryatt <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 4 Mar, Gary Locock wrote in message
>   <4ebe6139f6gary@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> > It is a pity, when both starting up and shutting down are highly visible
> > operations, that for various reasons they are amongst the least reliable
> > and user-friendly aspects of the Iyonix.

> It must be setup-specific, as I hardly ever end up at the supervisor
> prompt by accident.

No, it is user-specific.  It very rarely happens to me, but some kids do it
all the time.  I always supposed they were mistiming the keys so they didn't
get ctrl-shift-f12 all depressed simultaneously, but it seems it could be
less simple than that.

> It does seem that running certain modules in the
> background can prevent shutdown from working correctly.

Indeed; !HID is prime suspect as previously mentioned. However it isn't that
simple, because you then have to explain why in 80% of shutdowns it does
/not/ interfere with correct operation.

ISTR (it was a long time ago) that by eliminating !HID the shutdown
reliability was much improved, but the loss of functionality was not worth
the gain. And as indicated, the fact that it wasn't 100% suggests that there
is a third, unknown factor at work.

--
Gary Locock, Network Manager, Bablake Junior School
Coundon Road, Coventry CV1 4AU