[iyonix-support] Re: First view of ROM 5.13

  • From: John Ballance <jwb@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 23:27:45 +0000

Hi

James Peacock wrote:
Gary Locock wrote:

In article <6bf8f6ba4e.james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, James Peacock
<j-peacock@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Gary Locock wrote:
In article <076456ba4e.wra1th@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Gavin Wraith
   <gavin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Another thing with 5.13. Twice now I have found after selecting Shutdown
from the Task menu that instead of shutting down the machine beeps, the
screen goes blank but the hard disc continues to spin. This never
happened with 5.12.
Oh yes it does! And on every previous version of RO5 that I can recall.
It is intermittent, and possibly related to !HID but I've never pinned it
down successfully.
[Snip]

If it ends with a blank screen and a * prompt, I've usually done the
following to shutdown the machine relatively cleanly:
  *Load Run:PowerOff 8000
  *ShutDown
  *Go 8000
Note Gavin Wraith's observation "instead of shutting down the machine beeps".
IME this is diagnostic for the particular fault he is reporting.

If you get a star prompt instead of a shutdown, it is because you have
inadvertently done shift-F12 instead of ctrl-shift-F12, or using the menu,
you have hit 'Exit desktop' instead of 'Shutdown'.  Not the same thing at all.

As I said in the bit you snipped, I caused it by Alt-Breaking something which has hung after pressing Shift-Ctrl-F12 and the restart window appearing - it causes the shutdown to abort and the desktop to exit, I assume this is the TaskManager task that I killed.

It /may/ be possible that a similar situation could be caused by an error being generated while the TaskManager is active, after it has killed all other running tasks. This might even account for the beep.

if you get a beep during (a failed) shutdown, then something has done an abort, but the 'path' to a screen display has been closed. If you get a beep shutdown, then you do perhaps need to discover which task is aborting. BUT first check that things like !HID are up to date.. also your scsisoft bits (use the published update s if needed). Both of these have been known to abort when they are not up to date with the relevant rom based usb

John

James
---
To alter your preferences or leave the group, visit //www.freelists.org/list/iyonix-support