[iyonix-support] Re: Filer crash

  • From: Mike Hobbs <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2012 08:18:17 +0100

In message <bf54e4d752.boase@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Bernard Boase <b.boase@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 7 Aug, John Harrison <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Recently I have had quite a few filer crashes.  I get an 'Application
>> may have gone wrong' message, and when I accept it the filer quits, so
>> I have to reboot.

>> Anyone noticed anything similar?

> This happened to me this afternoon. I implemented 5.18 when it was
> published, and this is the only time I remember the filer _ever_
> having crashed in this way. The disc icons on the iconbar vanished,
> and attempts at normal access to files via applications produced error
> box "Use *Desktop to start Filer" (which didn't work for me).

I've seen this problem for many years, on various platforms and
versions of RISC OS (but fortunately rarely). I see it whilst
using Virtual-RPC RO 4.02 so its nothing to do with Iyonix 5.18
although its possible that something in it is triggering the
Flier crash more often.

> Provided it reflects only a very rare instability, I could live with
> it, but it prompts me to ask: is there no way to reinitialise Filer
> without a reboot (as suggested by that error message)? *RMReInit Filer
> and *Mount HardDisc4 (for example) don't repair the situation.

Sometimes, the crash may be triggered by accidentally hitting
the Enter key with focus probably not on any app window.
I've investigated it but never found the problem and I 've
never found a solution other than to reboot.  Perhaps if
more people can do some investigation we might get some clues
as to what is going on.

--
Mike Hobbs