[iyonix-support] Re: COPY aborting on Zip and CDImage files

  • From: Tim Powys-Lybbe <tim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2007 18:20:18 GMT

In message of 7 Feb, tennant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Tennant Stuart) wrote:

> In message Tim Powys-Lybbe wrote:

<snip>

> > But it is the same object on both discs.  When the copy command looks at
> > one it says it is a file and when the same command looks at the other it
> > says it is a directory.  This is inconsistent - and is what I am trying
> > to point out.  If there was no such inconsistency, copying could proceed
> > satisfactorily and my backups likewise.
>
> I'm afraid I don't understand this discussion at all.
>
> If I get SparkFS to create a "directory" called NEWZIP, then the following
> line in a Basic program (or an Obey file) works perfectly well...
>
>              *COPY TEXTFILE NEWZIP.TEXTFILE  F ~V ~C
>
> Both the Iyonix & RiscPC are good, and either TEXTFILE can be the newer.

The original note explained that I was effectively using the command
COPY 4.$.* 5.$.* to copy the whole of one disc to another for backup
purposes.  This aborts if any of the archive programs (sparkfs, etc) or
CDROMFS are running, that is, I was told, any program that maintained an
image system.  Renaming as you suggested is not an option here.

Unfortunately the fashion for snipping has lost all this, but you can

  //www.freelists.org/archives/iyonix-support/01-2007/msg00168.html

--
Tim Powys-Lybbe                                          tim@xxxxxxxxx
             For a miscellany of bygones: http://powys.org/