[iyonix-support] Re: Bin and writeable icon util

  • From: Harriet Bazley <iyonix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 21:48:20 GMT

On 28 Jan 2008 as I do recall,
          rickman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>  Richard Ashbery <riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Nobody seems to have mentioned Rick Hudsons's GIGO
> > Download from.........
>
> > GIGOhttp://kpo.org.nz/rick/software/gigo.html
>
> > It has an awful iconbar icon but nevertheless does a good job.
>
> Agreed it does a good job - or rather it did! for the last two weeks
> it it has been going wrong on my Iyonix.
>
> Whatever file I drop on it GIGO always bombs out with the message
> "file is locked to stop changes being made to it" .

[snip]

> Can anybody suggest a possible cause?

This is a known problem which you will be glad to hear has nothing to do
with the Iyonix.

GIGO will crash *after* you ask it to delete a locked file - i.e. you
won't be able to do anything else with it until you have fixed the
problem for it.   The problem, as I recall, is that it can *move* locked
files but then cannot delete them:   at any rate, inside the GigoBin
directory (*show GIGOBin$Dir) you will find a 'tmp' directory.   Every
time you drag something to the bin, GIGO moves it into here before
deciding what to do with it, whether to rename it with a numerical
suffix etc.   If the file is locked, it gets unintelligently stuck at
this point and crashes.

(I can't see an easy way around the issue other than forcibly and
recursively resetting the access status of every directory dragged to
the icon, which would slow operation down enormously - but certainly
GIGO shouldn't crash every time this situation is encountered.)

The cure, for future reference, is to empty the '<GIGOBin$Dir>.tmp'
directory, whereupon the program will start to function again.

--
Harriet Bazley                     ==  Loyaulte me lie ==

Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana