[iyonix-support] Re: Abyssmally slow ethernet

  • From: Alan Adams <alan.adams@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 21:32:06 +0100

In message <4d55c97b4e79a9c6f24e.rogerarm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Roger Darlington <rogerarm@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have just installed a LinkSys NSLU2 (with latest firmware) connected
> to a 500GB NTFS-formatted USB2 networked HDD.

> The NSLU2 is connected to a PAE CE84 100baseT Router, and to an
> Iyonix, original, with latest ROMs.

> I am connecting via LanMan98.

> Depending upon various *config eklink's I have tried, It either
> doesn't connect at all, or transfers JPEGs for Iyo to Network HDD at
> snail pace (35kB/s), or gives 'Connection Lost or broken Pipe, or
> gives 'Times Out' Resolving'.

> Here are the options I have tried:

> eklink 0 10 half - Time out resolving (gives up after about 10s)
> eklink 0 10 full  - Time out resolving (gives up after about 10s)

"Resolving" is interesting.

How have you got your name resolution setup? The router can be, and
should be usually, the name server for resolving *external* addresses.
However it cannot resolve names of locally connected machines. For
that you either use Windows name resolution, which is a mess, or host
files.

I suspect your setup is trying windows naming, which is failing. It is
llikely to do this once for each file it saves, adding a timeout to
the data transfer time, and resulting in the slow speeds.

If you haven't already done so, I would put entries for your NSLU in
the hosts file of the Iyo.

If you do this, you cannot reliably use DHCP to give the NSLU its
address, because you cannot rely on the router to issue the same
address each time. Indeed, with the same model router as you, I've
seen it give a PC a different address each time it booted.

It is also worth checking that every machine on the network has the
same network mask/subnet mask (same thing, different names). If one
has 255.0.0.0 and another 255.255.255.0 you tend to get mysterious
errors.

> eklink 0 100 full - works, but abysmally slow 35KB/s transfers (Iyo to
> HDD)

> eklink 0 100 full - (going the other way i.e.  HDD to Iyo) 30x faster
> transfers but 'connection lost' or 'broken pipe' every few seconds.

> eklink 0 auto - connection failed (61) (error from LanMan98)

> Are there any other Iyonix configurations I should do? [I see there
> are two more ethernet-related configs].

> Posting here because there may be an Iyonix issue what with all this
> 'connection lost' and 'broken pipe' business.

A good test is ping. I suggest

ping -f -s 1024 <address of nslu>

(-f makes it a stress test, -s 1024 uses large packets.)

let it run for a minute or so, then press escape. The summary will
tell you the time to echo, and the number of packets lost. Testing
here, I dropped 20 packets in 9000 (on a network without problems)
The round-trip times were from 2.6mS to 20mS.

If you either drop a large percentage (say >5%) or times vary wildly,
then you need to look at the lower layers of the network, i.e. the
negotiated speeds and duplex settings, the wiring, and the hardware
(network card, memory etc.)

There could be a problem with the link between the NSLU and the router
not negotiating correctly - can you test it with a host other than the
Iyo? Use a similar ping command.

--
Alan Adams, from Northamptonshire
alan.adams@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx