[iyonix-support] Re: Abyssmally slow ethernet

  • From: John Sandford <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 19:03:38 +0100

In message <4e6edbf34e.mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Mike Sandells <mike@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 16 Jun, in message <4d55c97b4e36ead3f34e.rogerarm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           Roger Darlington <rogerarm@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>> Abysmally slow, just like mine :-(
>
> Apologies if this has already been covered, but what are the duplex
> settings/status of the nslu2 box itself?

There does not seem to be any way of checking or setting these, but as
there is a built in DHCP server and a 10/100 ethernet interface Its
likely it auto negotiates its connection.

> If one end of a network conversation thinks duplexing is on, while the
> other end thinks it is off, very slow performance is usually the result,
> but often much slower in one direction of moving data than the other.
> This seems to be the symptom you are seeing.

This is what I was getting and found that I had set to 100mps/full
duplex, probably last time I took the machine to our user club.
resetting to Auto now achieves around 2.2.MB/sec transfers (same
apparent speed as the PC),What speeds could be expected from a 100Mbps
interface ?

[snip]

> It might also be worth setting up a share on the PC, and testing
> performance to and from that.
>
> Mike
 the same file takes about the same time to transfer from the Iyonix
to either the PC or the nslu2.

John

--
John Sandford   West Herts   UK