[iyonix-support] Re: A minor inconvenience

  • From: Tim Hill <tim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Iyonix ML <iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2010 18:14:12 +0000 (GMT)

In article <5170fa0daeriscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Richard Ashbery
<riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> That might be useful to remember in future troubleshooting - isn't it
> the case that Filer_Run is more of a problem than Filer_boot.
> Filer_boot tells the OS where the program can be loaded from but
> doesn't actually load it. May be I have misunderstood.

The Filer_Run action on an object is the same as double-clicking it in
the filer. An application's !Run file is run. This can be demonstrated by
creating an empty application directory called !Empty and double-click on
it. Files are Filer_Run in accordance with running applications or the
associated variable 'Alias$@RunType_hhh' where hhh is the hexadecimal
file type.
(At the command line type *show *run* to see all run types and the path
to the applications to render them.)

The Filer_Boot action on an object is the same as it being displayed in a
filer window ('seen'). An application's !Boot file is run. This often
sets up variables so that the filer 'knows' which application renders
specific file types, how to load them and which icon to use.

An application's !Run file will often run its own !Boot file or contain
the same commands as well as more including the command to run the
application's program.

HTH

--
Tim Hill,