[iyonix-support] Re: 5.18 Upgrade

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2012 14:26:29 +0100

In message <49221.86.149.241.110.1331036831.squirrel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
co.uk>
          "Learning Partners" <lp.books@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, 6 March, 2012 12:11 pm, dave higton wrote:
>> Quoting Learning Partners <lp.books@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>>
>>> I think that next time a change this radical in the OS occurs it would
>>> be well to accompany it with a compatibility table of KNOWN
>>> requirements to upgrade key / core applications such as Ov Pro,
>>> Easiwriter, Artworks, Datapower, etc etc This information is obviously
>>> known to some developers, Martin, Andrew etc.

Actually, no, I did not know. I only found out yesterday.

>> I suspect that developers would be likely to keep their applications
>> up to date.  I suspect that, for this reason, the incompatibility
>> information only emerges /after/ release of the OS.

In this case, it was the other way round: The incompatibility emerged
more than a year ago and was subsequently fixed a year ago. Hence,
anyone running a recent version of OvationPro (one of the latest three
releases) would not have seen the problem anyway while testing 5.18.

> A very fair point, although in this instance it looks as if some problems
> were identified through development builds. It would be helpful if these
> could be logged and disseminated beyond the developer community on
> release.

That is not so easy because that information is not readily available.
There is no mechanism that would allow the OS developers to know when
an application developer has fixed an issue that emerged during OS
development. At the end of the day, it is up to the application vendor
to notify customers about new versions of commercial software, or
alternatively, it is up to the customer to make sure he runs the
latest versions before doing a major OS upgrade.

Martin