[iyonix-support] Re: 5.13 directory access details

  • From: Gavin Wraith <gavin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 22:44:49 GMT

In message <45E0B2F7.70206@xxxxxxxxxx> you wrote:

> The access menu details are ONLY initialised if a single file is
> selected.. multiple files or directories cause it to come up
> uninitialised .. for logical reasons
>
> John
>
> Gavin Wraith wrote:
> > Sorry about forgetting my patched version of Filer 2.10. Now
> > I have a patched version of 2.13 and it both shows "Delete"
> > in red and shows the access settings, but only for files,
> > not for directories. What do other people get for the access
> > details submenu on directories?

I am not sure about the logic. Surely there is some flag that indicates
whether the directory itself is locked, irrespective of the access
permissions for the contents? Would it not be nice to have visual feedback
about its state? Of course, if lots of filer objects are selected,
the access details dialog is inappropriate. It would be more logical
for the access menu itself to be greyed out if more than one object
be selected. But a directory is one object. It should not be confused
with its contents. Selecting a directory should not select its contents.
The presence of a locked object among the contents of a directory should
prevent the directory being deleted, but should not imply that the directory
itself be locked.

These are my opinions, but I am not sure whether they fit with how
access permissions have actually been implemented. I think one needs to
be very precise with words to disentangle these matters. There are
evidently different mental models of what a directory is. To put the
matter more mathematically, if the filing system hierarchy is pictured
as a tree (in the mathematical sense) does the term "directory" refer
to a non-leaf node, or to the subtree that sprouts from that node?
I tend to think of things with the former interpretation, so that it
is the container, not the contents.

--
Gavin Wraith (gavin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
Home page: http://www.wra1th.plus.com/