[iwgmgfh] Genealogy, Technology, and Learning Course

  • From: Arnon Hershkovitz <arnon.hershkovitz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iwgmgfh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2014 16:16:30 +0200

Hello, Dear Colleagues.

I've been extremely overwhelmed with the relation back to Israel and with
starting my new job. I can't believe that we're well into spring semester
already, these days are truly hectic...

I'd like to share with you some exciting news: This semester, I started
teaching a Genealogy, Technology, and Learning class. This is a graduate
class, mainly for students in the Technologies and Learning program, which
is part of the Mathematics, Science and Technology Education Department in
Tel Aviv University's School of Education (wow, that's a long affiliation
;-).

The class discusses various topics which critically examine the genealogy
field. Example topics: The very basic concepts and (unwritten) "standards"
of genealogy as a research-like practice; source and resource evaluation;
personal information management; motivation; combining genealogy in the
school curriculum with regards to some core disciplines (mainly, history,
math, biology, language arts); ethical and legal issues; technological
advances; genealogical communities (both offline and online).

The students are fascinated (I've a small class), and I feel very
challenged.

Do you have any advice from your own experience, please share it with me
(us).

Yours,
Arnon