[isapros] Re: certificate keys

  • From: "Jerry Young" <jerrygyoungii@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "isapros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <isapros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 08:07:21 -0500

Hmm...

All right... answered my own questions.  The CSR simply provides the public
information required by the CA to generate the CER, which just holds the
public key of the certificate.  During generation of the CSR, however, the
private key is created on the server that generated it - it just isn't
shared (like I incorrectly thought it was) via the CSR.

Interestingly enough, the .cer file can be installed on another system and
even configured to be used with a website.  Attempts to browse that website,
however, will fail - browser just keeps throwing "cannot establish
connection" errors. I'm guessing this is because the private key doesn't
exist there and so the traffic cannot be decrypted.

Now, as to why the certificate Amy was trying to export would not allow her
to do so, the only time I've seen that scenario is when the certificate is
based off the Computer Certificate Template instead of the Web Server
Certificate Template (assuming internal CA - don't think public CAs populate
this field) or you are viewing the certificates remotely through the
Certificates MMC.

Thanks for putting up with my muddling. :)