[isapros] Re: VPN: Nat or Route?

  • From: "Steve Moffat" <steve@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <isapros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 16:19:42 -0300

You need routes at both ends....

From: isapros-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:isapros-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Amy Babinchak
Sent: Saturday, July 22, 2006 9:57 AM
To: isapros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [isapros] VPN: Nat or Route?

When creating a site-to-site VPN how do I know whether to choose Route
or NAT?

Here's the current situation I'm working with. Need to setup
site-to-site VPN. The remote site houses an accounting package. The
local site runs a Telnet window to access it. There are multiple users
at the local site that will be using this app. The remote site needs to
be able to LPR print to the local site.

Using Route, the server can ping through to the remote network but the
workstations can't. Remote site can print. Local site can't access the
app.

Using NAT, workstations can ping through to the remote network and run
the app. But the remote site can't print to the local site.

Thanks,

Amy