[isapros] Re: RPC filter - connectivity changed

  • From: "Jason Jones" <Jason.Jones@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <isapros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 23:36:34 +0100

Ori/Jim,

Bit more info from testing today:

Created connectivity verifiers late last week for all exchange back-end
servers and was onsite today when the RPC filter failed again.

Symptoms

Basically what happens is that for no apparent reason all MAPI clients
lose access to Exchange and ISA logs repeated alerts saying "RPC filter
- connectivity changed". Accompanying these ISA logs, the application
logs says "unable to connect to ExchangeIP:135 connection failed"
quickly followed by "Connection to ExchangeIP:135 connection restored".
These errors loop to say connected then disconnected. Every time you
start a MAPI client and try to access Exchange more and more ISA alerts
are created and more and more application errors are generated.

During all this time, the RPC connectivity verifiers show good
connectivity to all Exchange servers.

Looking at the ISA logs, I traffic being logged as allowed, but every
connection seems to be followed by an instant "0x80074e24
FWX_E_CONNECTION_KILLED" entry.

Workaround/Current Fix

If you restart the firewall service on all array members then MAPI
clients can successfully connect to Exchange and continue working until
the filter fails again. Sometimes this is a few hours, sometime this is
a few days. These system is currently only in pilot so only has <15
users at the moment, so shouldn't be due to RPC filter load issues.

Is this another PSS call in the making? :-\

Any more ideas???

Cheers

JJ