[isapros] Re: MSDE Ram Rule of Thumb

  • From: "Steve Moffat" <steve@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <isapros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 11:01:52 -0300

I bow to your superior knowledge...J

I came across this.

Well it turns out that the max server memory setting in MSDE (and SQL)
defaults to 2147483647Mb!! A little more digging and I found a SQL
script to change this memory. Copy the following into notepad and save
as sqlmemorylimit.sql .

USE master
EXEC sp_configure 'show advanced options', 1
RECONFIGURE WITH OVERRIDE

USE master
EXEC sp_configure 'max server memory (MB)', 64
RECONFIGURE WITH OVERRIDE

USE master
EXEC sp_configure 'show advanced options', 0
RECONFIGURE WITH OVERRIDE

With this SQL script saved we can now run it with the following command.

osql -E -S servername\MSFW -i c:\sqlmemorylimit.sql

This will set the memory limit for MSDE to 64MB. Now you are probably
thinking that 64MB is awefully low, and you are right. The box in
question only had 256MB ram, however I would suggest to set this to 1/4
of the total amount of physical memory. As an example, if you have 1GB
of memory, set this to 256MB.