[isapros] Re: [ISAServer] Firewall database corruption due to power outtage

  • From: "Greg Mulholland" <gmulholland@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <isapros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 07:52:32 +1000

OMG thats classic..

I too would like to know that of which he asks, oh great Tim!..

I concur with the sentiments relating to lockdown and sql logging..\

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Harrison" <Jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: isapros-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Thor (Hammer of God) [mailto:thor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] Sent: Tuesday, July 04, 2006 8:55 PM To: Avi Sander Cc: Adar Greenshpon; ISA-MVP Subject: Re: [ISAServer] Firewall database corruption
due to power

outtage

OK- the either/or situation makes more sense. I'm
sure that I'm
not

hitting

the log buffer- the 9 second minimum window is what is
getting me.

How exactly do you define a "failure to commit?" Are
you actively

looking

for
a "failure" code from SQL, or is it the lack of
a committed

transaction

within
the time span?  I ask because if I am in the middle of DB

maintenance, I can

execute a transaction that might have to wait a
while to get a

committal, but

SQL knows about the transaction pending and won't
error out.

The SQL table structure included in 2004 results in
HUGE table
sizes

for web

proxy logging alone. I'm talking gigs worth of fluff
per day, so

daily DB

maintenance is an absolute requirement. I have
never had a
logging
transaction "live" through a maintenance period
without going into

lockdown,

hence it being disabled on all my web proxy listener
machines.

I understand that the reasoning behind "lockdown" is for

"evidentiary"

reasons, but that seems counter intuitive to me. The
actual log
is

more

important to me than the absence of a logged event
when the system

locks

down.
So, not only are the services not available (though a
"fail-safe"),

but I

loose any log of any attempt in the meantime. Are we
going to see

some more

"user definable" setting in regard to logging and
lockdown? If
not,

don't

see how even mid-size businesses will be able to
log to SQL
without

disabling

the feature.

On 7/4/06 5:51 AM, "Avi Sander"
<asander@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> spoketh to

all:

ISA will lockdown if either of the following occurs
(whichever
comes

1st):

- Four consecutive failures to commit the
data into the
DB.

Our

default COMMIT timeout is 30 secs. We'll retry every 3
secs. So at

minimum

you've got 9 secs here.
-         LOG buffers are exhausted\out of memory. By
default on a

1GB RAM

machine we'll accumulate tens of thousands of recs. Is
there a lot
of

traffic

going through when this happens? How much RAM does
this machine
have?

What is the event description you see in the EventViewer?

The Log buffers can be extended some more, though not
recommended

since can

use up a lot of memory.

-avi