[isapros] Re: ISA and SAN Certs

  • From: "Thomas W Shinder" <tshinder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <isapros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 14:37:59 -0500

Never mind :)

I found it:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940881

MVP -- Microsoft Firewalls (ISA)

________________________________

        From: isapros-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:isapros-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Thomas W Shinder
        Sent: Wednesday, August 29, 2007 2:35 PM
        To: isapros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        Subject: [isapros] Re: ISA and SAN Certs

        OK, that's an interesting sentence in a KB OL update article.
But there's no mention of this anywhere else on the ms.com site.

        In addition, how do we configure the SRV records?

        Service?
        Protocol?
        Priority?
        Weight?
        Port number?
        Host offering this service?

        I try to read minds best as I can, but I'm flailing on this one
:))

        Thomas W Shinder, M.D.
        Site: www.isaserver.org
        Book: http://tinyurl.com/3xqb7
        MVP -- Microsoft Firewalls (ISA)

Harrison
        > Sent: Wednesday, August 29, 2007 2:27 PM
        > To: isapros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        > Subject: [isapros] Re: ISA and SAN Certs
        >
        > DatzDeWun!  O'curse it works in real life; I tested it.
        >
        > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/939184
        > OL 2K7 seeks a "autodiscovery" SRV record first, and only if
        > that fails,
        > it'll seek the A record.  This is based on the same domain
suffix as
        > specified in the mail domain.
        > If your OL client is behind a CERN proxy (and it knows it), it
can't
        > specify that the proxy should look up a SRV record for
        > autodiscover.sfx.
        > The proxy assumes that any CERN request will be for a "host"
        > and makes a
        > DNS query for an A record.
        >
        > OL 2K7 uses the SRV record to discover the host

autodiscover.msfirewall.org, I
        > can still use owa.msfirewall.org since it resolves to the same
IP
        > address as autodiscover.msfirewall.org on the internal network
-- and
        > the path is going to /autodiscover, so that's cool. It's all
making
        > sense on paper -- now to see if it works in real life :)
        >
        > BTW -- why do I need a SRV record for OL autodiscovery? I
haven't seen
        > any documentation on that requirement on the Exchange side.
        >
        > Thanks!
        > Tom
        >
        > Thomas W Shinder, M.D.
        > Site: www.isaserver.org
        > Blog: http://blogs.isaserver.org/shinder/
        > Book: http://tinyurl.com/3xqb7
        > MVP -- Microsoft Firewalls (ISA)

autodiscover.suffix, add
        > > > "autodiscover.suffix" to the public names (ISA 2006 only)
and
        > > > make sure
        > > > the cert used in the ISA web listener includes
        > > > "autodiscover.suffix" in
        > > > the SAN.
        > >
        > > Again, the issue isn't with the Web listeners, I have no
        > problem with
        > > that. The issue is with the connection between the ISA
        > > Firewall and the
        > > Client Access Server. The Web site certificate bound to the
Client
        > > Access Server has a common name and a first SAN name of
        > > owa.msfirewall.org and a second SAN name of
        > > autodiscover.msfirewall.org.
        > >
        > > Given that, the Web Publishing Rule that is publishing the
        > > autodiscover.msfirewall.org/autodiscover path must be
        > > configured on the
        > > TO tab to use autodiscover.msfirewall.org -- HOWEVER, and
        > this is THE
        > > QUESTION -- with the ISA Firewall when establishing the SSL
channel
        > > between itself and the Client Access Server, be able to use
        > the SECOND
        > > SAN on the Client Access Server Web site certificate to
allow the
        > > connection?
        > >
        > > Make sense?
        > >

        > > > Jim

Exchange
        > > > Publishing Wizard in ISA 2006 that is includes an
        > > /autodiscover path,
        > > > which is completely useless, since the client is looking
for
        > > > autodiscover.domain.com/autodiscover and not the Client
        > > Access Server
        > > > Public Name, which would be something like owa.domain.com.
        > > >
        > > > OK, easy problem to solve, right? All we need to do is
        > > create a second
        > > > Web listener on a second IP address and configure it to
listen for
        > > > public name autodiscover.company.com.  HOWEVER, the Client
Access
        > > > Server's common/subject name and first SAN is
owa.company.com. The

http://blogs.technet.com/isablog/archive/2007/08/29/certificat

ltiple-san-entries-may-break-isa-server-web-publishing.aspx

        > > > All mail to and from this domain is GFI-scanned.
        > > >

        > > All mail to and from this domain is GFI-scanned.
        > >

        > All mail to and from this domain is GFI-scanned.

JPEG image