[isapros] Re: ISA and SAN Certs

  • From: "Jim Harrison" <Jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <isapros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 22:22:06 -0700

What question?
The blog was never intended to be a treatise on web-publishing using SAN
certs.
It had one purpose alone - that of providing authoritative description
of an ISA limitation and functional, tested methodologies for working
around this limitation.

The statement, "the Web listener will respond not only to the common
name on the certificate, but will also respond to any of the Subject
Alternative Names (SANs)" is incorrect, pure and simple.  With the
exception of IE on Vista & Longhorn (and some Linux apps [see RFC 4366
for the gory details]), the client never supplies the "server name"
information during the SSL handshake (you know; when certificates are
exchanged).  Even for those that do, Windows 2003 does not process this
part of the request and so the server (read: ISA) cannot respond in any
specific "name" context.

For the foreseeable future, the client-server SSL handshake works like
unto thusly (summarized for simplicity):

Client --> [SSL Client Hello] --> Server
Server --> [SSL Server Hello, Certificate] --> Client
..client validates the certificate, exchanges keys with server,
establish encryption and may perform other negotiation as well..
---- SSL session is now established ----

Client --> [GET /abs_path HTTP/1.x] --> Server
..this request includes a "host" header with FQDN of server name..
---- this is the place where the WPR makes the "public name" decision
----

Note that at no time have my hands left my arms...

Jim