[isapros] Re: ISA, Exchange 2007 and Perimeter Networks

  • From: "Thor (Hammer of God)" <thor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "isapros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <isapros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 09:22:24 -0800

I can¹t yet comment on what protocols will be necessary for CAS to perform
particular functions as I have not yet analyzed the required traffic, but
even with Ex2k3, ³full time² intradomain protocol support is totally
unnecessary for the FE to act as the OWA front end once it has been properly
initiated into the Exchange organization ­ I mentioned this in a past post,
but as part of my ³least privileged² configuration, CIFS and RPC (All
interfaces) are disabled, and only Kerberos-UDP, LDAP, LDAP GC, Ping and DNS
are enabled from the FE to my DC¹s object, and only HTTP from the FE to the
BE.  This works perfectly.  But, if I need to log on to the FE perimeter box
box or use System Manager from that box, then I enable the CIFS/RPC rule to
the DC¹s, get ?er done, and disable again.  This is completely different
than the ³official² Exchange documentation, but it is about as secure as you
could hope for in such an easily maintained configuration.  This is because
I think the Exchange group is not necessarily explicitly aware of the
authentication negotiation process, and just assumes that CIFS is required
for authentication ­ but, if the client can¹t establish a standard SMB
channel, it will fall back to Kerberos UDP.  Given what one can do with an
established authenticated CIFS connection, I choose to disable it for
security reasons.

My guess (again, I¹m not sure) is that different operations will require
different protocol support.  For standard OWA access, I¹m sure we can get
away with similar limited protocols.  If you want to be able to map drives
via the OWA interface (which CAS will let you do) you¹ll most probably need
to allow CIFS to the host (but ONLY to that host).  Even so, it¹s a far
better configuration considering the ³universal access² to the FE.

When I deploy this, I¹ll know better.  And even if PSS gives me crap about
it not being supported, I just won¹t tell them.  I¹ll put the CAS ³behind
ISA² like they say and keep my perimeter DMZ configuration to myself.

On 1/12/07 3:56 AM, "Jason Jones" <Jason.Jones@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> spoketh to
all: