[isapros] Re: FW: [isalist] Problem viewing external Sharepoint site

  • From: "Thomas W Shinder" <tshinder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <isapros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 18:51:58 -0500

Users Repeatedly Prompted for Credentials

Problem: Users visiting a Web site published through ISA Server that
requires authentication are repeatedly prompted for credentials, even
after supplying valid credentials.

Cause: This may occur if Windows integrated authentication (NTLM) is
enabled on both the ISA Server computer and on Internet Information
Services (IIS) of the published Web server. This occurs in a publishing
scenario when ISA Server uses the same HTTP headers for authentication
as those used by the Web server. The client is prompted for credentials
by ISA Server, and ISA Server forwards the request without the
credentials to the published Web site. This causes the Web site to
prompt for authentication. Multiple authentication requests cause the
Web browser to interpret the credentials as incorrect, and users may be
prompted multiple times for credentials if the Web browser opens
multiple connections.

Solution: As a workaround, do any of the following:

*        Use SecurID instead of NTLM on the ISA Server computer.

*        Use RADIUS instead of NTLM on the ISA Server computer.

*        Use Basic authentication instead of NTLM on the internal Web
server.

*        Use an SSL connection with Basic authentication delegation.

MVP -- ISA Firewalls