[isalist] Re: wpad.dat DNS entry

  • From: "Stefaan Pouseele" <stefaan.pouseele@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 21:56:47 +0200

Hi Dan,

check out my blog
http://blogs.isaserver.org/pouseele/2006/06/30/multi-networking-wpad-support
-in-isa-2004/.

HTH,
Stefaan

  _____

From: isalist-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:isalist-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Ball, Dan
Sent: woensdag 30 augustus 2006 21:47
To: isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [isalist] wpad.dat DNS entry

I'm having a serious problem here with the wpad name resolution.  I moved it
from being sent out via DHCP to DNS per Jim's recommendation, which seems to
have speeded up some things, but is now unreliable and causing problems.

The problem appears to be the multiple internal subnets.  Here is a diagram
of how it is laid out:

Internet

ISA Server --- Internal Network 1 (10.20.1.1)

Internal Network 2 (10.6.254.90)---- 10.6.8.x Subnet

                                               |-- 10.6.9.x Subnet

                                               |-- 10.6.10.x Subnet

                                               |-- 10.6.12.x Subnet

                                               |-- 10.6.14.x Subnet

                                               |-- 10.6.15.x Subnet

I entered two Host (A) records for wpad, one for 10.20.1.1, and another for
10.6.254.90.

Frequently I run across computers on the 10.6.x.x subnet where the FWC
cannot automatically detect the ISA server, so I ping wpad and it resolves
to the 10.20.1.1 address instead of the 10.6.254.90 address that it is
supposed to get.  I try repairs and such, it keeps resolving to the wrong
one.  When I reboot the computer, it resolves to the correct IP and works
properly.  I reboot the computer several times, and it gets the correct
address.  But, I'll hear of another computer having problems, and I'll check
and it is the same problem.  This is not going to be pretty over the next
few days as teacher come back to work after summer vacation.

What is the best way to resolve this?  Change it back to DHCP, customize
host files, etc?