w3proxy.exe high on CPU and web proxy stops responding

  • From: "Christian" <christian.schrader@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 00:07:21 -0600

Win2000 server sp4
ISA server 2000 sp2
Interscan webprotect for ISA

We got 2 proxy servers sharing user load by DNS round-robin. Sporadically
w3proxy.exe starts using much CPU, and the proxy stops responding user
requests after a couple of hours. This happens about twice a month.
Restarting the service doesn't help, so we usually boot the server. What
is really strange is that they seem to infect each other, so after booting
the first server, the second server takes over the problem, and very often
we got to boot the second server as well.

I have asked you about it before and was told to check the webprotect tmp
files. It took some time because the problem didn't take place for while.

I now have had the chance to run perfmon counter, and the only graph that
seems to depart from the rest is the one for CPU. It suddenly increases
from 10-30% to 80-90% and resides there some hours until it eventually
reaches 100%. I have checked the disk space and the webprotect tmp-files
under this period, and everything looks normal exept for the CPU.

I would be wery grateful if anyone have a clue of how to further
troubleshoot this.

best regards
Christian