[isalist] Re: vpn scenario question...

  • From: "Thomas W Shinder" <tshinder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 19:28:47 -0500

http://www.isaserver.org/tutorials/VPN_Client_Security_Issues.html

:)

Thomas W Shinder, M.D.
Book: http://tinyurl.com/3xqb7
MVP -- Microsoft Firewalls (ISA)

From: isalist-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:isalist-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Thor (Hammer of God)
Sent: Thursday, May 08, 2008 5:50 PM
To: isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [isalist] Re: vpn scenario question...

Yes, there is a way, but it involves "routing tricks" which may or may
not be easy for you to configure -- but I would encourage you to first
think about the dangers of allowing your users to do whatever they want
on an alternate pipe while connected up to your SQL server at the same
time.  Any malware, virus, or other nastiness that they may execute
would have access to your SQL data in the context of the logged on user.

It may be far more beneficial for you to control what the user can and
can't do while connected up to your server.   Barring that, you would
need to configure the VPN client not to use the remote gateway, and then
ensure that the SQL host was reachable via a route down the VPN.