telnet/NTLM

  • From: "Sheri Baitsell" <sbaitsell@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 12:44:55 -0700

I have a question on telnet/NTLM. We have a program that when the clients
go into, the lawyers' program that telnets through our ISA server to
westlaw and retrieves it's information. The program worked fine under MS
Proxy 2.0 and doesn't work with ISA. I have win98 and NT clients using
this program. I created a protocol rule to allow telnet and telnet server.
I went into services and started telnet on the server. I went to a command
prompt and telnet. Then changed the will auth (ntlm authentication) to
wont auth(ntlm authentication). Now the test NT client is able to telnet
but the test win98 still cannot. The win98 client is saying "server allows
NTLM authentication only". I did check my 98 client; it's running IE5.5,
sp1. I called westlaw that sold us the program. They are telling me I need
to resolve the telnet issue to our proxy server and then the program will
work. So they couldn't offer any help. Any ideas?