smtp port fails repeatedly...

  • From: "Paul Laudenslager" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ISAserver.org Discussion List]'" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 19:04:12 -0400

What would cause the SMTP port on a particular IP address to stop
responding?

I'm using IPSentry to monitor ports on my servers.  It seems that the
firewall's stops responding on a particular IP address for the SMTP service.
Using Remote Desktop, I find that I'm able to telnet to the SMTP port on the
mail server (using the local IP address assigned to it) but the firewall is
not responding to the Internet IP.

It seems to fail about once/hour.  I've got the firewall routing mail for 3
separate IP addresses but it is failing only on one IP address.  Any
suggestions or ideas come to mind?

Thanks in advance for your time and consideration.

Paul L.

  _____