server publishing and DOD

  • From: "Mark Hippenstiel" <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 11:41:34 +0100

Hi folks,

I've got a question regarding the server publishing function in ISA. I would
like to redirect requests to a given port on the external interface (in my
setup only a dod connection, nothing else) to a service running on the ISA
machine. The service could be running on any other machine, but that's the
way it is right now - the problem remains the same.

So, when I configure the rule I'll have to specify on which external ip the
port should be bound. Of course, I can only choose the temporary ip that my
provider assigned me. Next time the line comes up, I will be having another
ip, and when I enter the server publishing dialog again, ISA tells me that
the chosen ip is being invalid.

Is that only a cosmetical problem or will I have to set up the rule over and
over? And if so, is the a way to automate this, using scripts maybe?

Just think of another scenario: your main route to the internet gets lost,
and your backup route uses a dod line with changing ips AND you'll have to
provide certain services to your customers. Same problem here. Changing ips
by themselves are masterable using tools like dyndns and directupdate.

Any hints?

Thanks
Mark