[isalist] re Re: AIM and SOCKS Proxy?

  • From: <stevec@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 18:10:56 -0500

Yes, I was on that site. The exact problem (that I didn't mention the fist
time, sorry) is that while text IM works fine, video does not. An AIM client
cannot initiate or answer a "video chat", even though text IM sessions work
fine. I was attempting SOCKS proxying because I thought that might let the
video relay properly (so far it does not).

I have a rule "Allow AIM" (with logging enabled) which has
        Allow these protocols - AOL Instant Messenger, H.323, HTTPS, HTTPS
Server
        From - Internal, External, Local Host
        To - Internal, External, Local Host
        Users - All
        Schedule - Always
        Content Types - All

There are no relevant rules above this one in the Firewall Policy chain.

Of course, Windows Live Messenger clients work fine both initiating and
answering "video chat" mode.

Thanks for any advice.

---orig

[snip]

Basically, it seems all you need is to allow connections to the AIM servers
on HTTPS.
Why exactly are you trying to make it a SOCKS proxy client?
You can't authenticate those connections at all.