outgoing client ftp problem through isa 2000

  • From: "Dijk, Sebastian van" <sebastian.van.dijk@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 10:29:39 +0100

Server : 2003,  ISA 2000 including all service packs

Clients : Windows XP, no firewall enabled.

I am trying but failing in giving users rights for the FTP Protocol, to
access FTP Servers.

What is the situation :

Client Machines with internet explorer proxy settings enabled, all at
port 8080.

Clients have a default gateway pointing to the ISA server (ISA 2000)

On the ISA server, i made a new protocol definition : "ftp outbound"
port 21, outbound. No secondary connections.

A new protocol rule is made, groups are allowed to used this FTP
OUTBOUND protocol definition.

Outgoing web requests :

"Same listener for all internal IP Addresses", tcp port 8080 and
integrated authentication is used.

"Ask unauthenticated users for authentication" is turned off, this is
because we have a small application running that can't be used with the
firewall client, so it needs just a securenat configuration.

The FTP Access filter is enabled.

The problem :

User's can access ftp sites, i've set the "passive ftp" option in
Internet Explorer but it just won't work.

I tried to set the proxy port in Internet Explorer to 21 in stead of
8080. No result.

Then i tried to install the firewall client, now client CAN use FTP
connections.

But i want only the Internet Explorer proxy settings to be used.

Has anyone a clue why my FTP setup won't work ?

Thanks in advance,

Sebastian van Dijk