[isalist] oh no, error 64 - network name no longer available

  • From: "Lars Hansen" <LHansen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 13:37:48 -0400

One of our clients are getting this error when they go to one of the
website that they have to go to.

We've tried the URL through 3 different ISA servers, and we're getting
the same error through all three ISA servers. If we test this at sites
not using ISA, we are having no issues with this URL. Configuring IE to
use ISA as a proxy or not does not appear to make a difference; same
error.

The actual error message on the firewall is this:

Log type: Web Proxy (Forward)

Rule: Allow all HTTP traffic from ISA Server to all networks (for CRL
downloads)

Source: Local Host ( 192.168.16.2:0)

Destination: External (216-136-16-106.static.twtelecom.net
216.136.16.106:80)

Request: GET
http://www.refil.net/xap/refil/invlib/?customernumber=[redacted]

Filter information: Req ID: 174477d2

Protocol: http

So, here's the "funny" part. If I try
http://www.refil.net/xap.refil/invlib, I get the correct login screen
without any issues.

However, once the URL gets filled up with user ID information, it fails:

http://www.refil.net/xap/refil/invlib/?customernumber=99999&from=liebert
&userid=99999-S&repnbr=999

(actual userids and customer numbers changed, still get the same error)

I tried creating a special rule to pass everything going to refill.net
through a special port-80 protocol without web filtering on it, but
still no go. Also, the rule listed in the error message doesn't show on
the firewall, so I can't edit and/or disable it. Even with a custom
rule, this one always picks it up and throws the error.

During my google & bing searches, I noticed another gentleman had a
similar issue, and someone pointed out the odd use of "/?", and  then he
rewrote the app to use something else eliminating the "/?" and the issue
went away. However, it works with /?customernumber=99999 as well as
/?customernumber=99999&from=liebert, but when the URL grows bigger than
that, ISA barfs all over it and suddenly throws the "error 64" message.

Any ideas?

Sincerely,

Lars M. Hansen

Engineer II