Re: not quite code red?

  • From: "Mircea Dospinescu" <mdospi@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 17:14:18 +0300

Hi Shayne,

I had the same problem!
I have also discovered in c:\root 2 files: index.htm and index.asp with a
message for the chinese government.

Eventualy I found out that it was not Red Code but another virus (a backdoor),
named Sadmind Dr.

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/sadmind-iis.html

This one is older than Code Red, it was discovered on May 8,2001.

The protection against Sadmind needs another IIS security patch from Microsoft:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/downloads/critical/q269862/default.asp

best regards,
Mircea