RE: logging to a database - anyone do it?

  • From: "Joseph" <cismic@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ISAserver.org Discussion List]'" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 13:28:11 -0800

For one thing the field layouts are different when logging to a database
using the built in logging tool via ODBC.
If you look at the extended properties of the WC3 format and the SQL
script that is used by ODBC logging,
You'll see the following differences for WC3 and ODBC.  I don't like
NCSA because there isn't much
Information to really perform successful logging. While you can see that
some of the fields are the same
WC3 extended field processing in my mind is the best to use for logging
then use scripting into DB.
WC3 #Fields:                                        ODBC

date

ClientHost

time

Username

c-ip

LogTime

cs-username

Service

s-sitename

Machine

s-computername

ServerIP

s-ip

ProcessingTime

s-port

BytesRecvd

cs-method

BytesSent

cs-uri-stem

ServiceStatus

cs-uri-query

Win32Status

sc-status

Operation

sc-win32-status

Target

sc-bytes

Parameters

cs-bytes time-taken

cs-version

cs-host

cs(User-Agent)

cs(Cookie)

cs(Referer)

If you were using server publishing you could do this in IIS to populate
the c-ip or ClientHost field with friendly
DNS DATA cscript adsutil.vbs SET /W3svc/1/EnableReverseDNS "TRUE"
I would not use that for very long on a production web server because of
the increased band width to
Do a reverse proxy on ip addresss. The would want to reset after testing
with
cscript adsutil.vbs SET /W3svc/1/EnableReverseDNS "FALSE"
Joseph