[isalist] Re: lockdown mode

  • From: "Jim Harrison" <Jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2007 06:10:22 -0700

That's a shame and definitely your loss.

Tim is right; while ISA can ignore a specific client when it triggers
flood mitigation, this is not "lockdown".

Actually, alerts aren't the only thing that can cause lockdown, and
they're not even the most common.

Anything that can cause the Firewall service to hang or stop will create
the same effect.

This is what I alluded to with "crappy plug-ins".

PSS has logged *MANY* cases where a filter bug caused ISA to crash on a
regular basis, forcing a lockdown scenario.

The worst part of it is that they frequently wouldn't let PSS remove the
filter to validate the bug theory, citing "security requirements" while
simultaneously crying "SLA!!".

This is where reboots sometimes gave temporary relief but actually did
*nothing* to solve the problem.