Re: isa / highschool

  • From: jonlists@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 12:10:12 -0600

If you're talking about the ability to use native ISA to meet ICPA
requirements for web-site blocking, ISA won't be able to do it alone.

We work with K-12's on issues like this - we're looking at a variety of
solutions, one including where ISA is providing firewall/VPN capabilities,
and Trend's WebManager is riding in that environment providing the web
content blocking.

I'm guessing, what, Grade Quick or Grade Machine, from home through VPN....
will you need Mac VPN clients for that - do the teachers use Macs at home?

Jon Johnston
Creative Business Solutions
IBM, Lotus, Microsoft Consultants
http://www.cbsol.com
952-544-1108

                      "Andrew Myers"

                      <amyers@xxxxxxxxx        To:       "[ISAserver.org
Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                      >                        cc:

                                               Subject:  [isalist] isa /
highschool
                      02/28/2002 11:13

                      PM

                      Please respond to

                      "[ISAserver.org

                      Discussion List]"

I've been using ISA Server for about 6 months and am looking at
implementing it in a school system instead of some of my other firewall
solutions. I wanted to get some input on the configuration and design of
this implementation?.

Basically, it is a school system with 300+ computers (from Apple IIe'sand
iMAC'sto Win95-2k machines) spread throughout the school building, and
several pc's connected to the network at a remote location through a
dedicated T-1.

Will 1 ISA Server be able to service all these? Right now they have a
router that gives everyone access, the ISP upstream has a proxy service
that filters content. But it takes up to 2 weeks to get sites blocked, so
they want to implement some of their own blocking at a local level.

The arealso wanting a new files server/domain controller on the inside
(active directory) which they would have VPN access through the ISA to, to
access datafilesfor a gradebookprogram from home?

Please offer any thoughts or comments?

Thank You,

Andrew Myers

IT Consultant