Workstation cannot join domain

  • From: "Elliott Davidow" <Elliott.Davidow@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 14:16:56 -0600

Figured DNS as follows: SBS2K multihomed

    Forward Zone:

jedgroup.local

Name Type Data
_msdcs
_sites
_tcp
_udp

(same as parent folder)     Start of Authority [46],
viper.jedgroup.local., admin.
(same as parent folder)     Name Server
viper.jedgroup.local.
(same as parent folder)     Host
192.168.1.xxx
dns                                 Alias
viper.jedgroup.local.
viper                                Host
192.168.1.xxx

Wins: Reverse

Name                     Type                         Data
192.168.1.XXX         Pointer
viper.jedgroup.local.
(same as parent folder) Name Server
viper.jedgroup.local.
(same as parent folder) Start of Authority [27],
viper.jedgroup.local., admin.jedgroup.local.

nslookup correctly identifies both adapter's IP addresses with the
internal being viper.jedgroup.local and the external being jedgroup.com

The workstations are attached through a dumb switch on the internal
adapter.

When we try to ping the "server" from the workstation it finds it
(delayed). When we try to ping jedgroup.com, it times out. Also the
workstations report "can't find dns server" or network path.
Workstations are registered on AD and adapters have only the dns of
192.168.1XXX. Wins only carries single address (internal) and is not
(like MS client, sharing) available on the external NIC.

What do we have to open?

EL