RE: Wireless Access with ISA

  • From: "Euan Cooper" <euan.cooper@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 11:29:11 +1300

Why don't you simply buy a cheap wireless access point and connect that to a
standard NIC in your ISA box?   That way you can set up a "real" wireless VLAN
with suitable access rules to allow just the required traffic onto your network
from the wireless VLAN.

If all you are actually wanting to do is provided a wireless link for your
Laptop in the Computer room when you need it, do you even go through the ISA
box ?

Before we moved buildings late last year I had a cheap pocket AP set up with a
fixed IP address set-up in the computer room.   All I had to do was power it up
and turn on the wireless card in my laptop when I wanted to use it and power it
off again when I was finished.  While the AP only does WEP (128 bit at least)
because it was only powered up while I was using it and the AP doesn't have a
great range anyway I didn't see it as a big issue.  In the new building the
computer room is right next door to my office rather than in another building
so I have not yet had a need to use my laptop in the computer room so the AP
has not yet been set-up.

However if you really want to learn how to make wireless work through your ISA
box, then go and get an AP - or convince your PHB[1] that you "need" one for
some reason or other ...

-Ec

1 Pointy Haired Boss