Windowsupdate woes. (0x80072EFD, as usual)

  • From: Alexandre Gauthier <gauthiera@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ISAserver.org Discussion List]'" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 09:26:37 -0500

Good morning. I hope all of you guys are twitching around with glee, unable
the contain the warm and loving feeling of upcoming snow and the beginning
of winter as you hold whatever book you are reading right now clenched
tightly into your groin. (For my part, it's "Version control with
Subversion", if you're interested. I know you aren't, but I decided you
would be.)

So, I know this has been discussed over and over on this very list, and you
probably clicked this mail, all worked up about telling me to go read the
articles and google around, and especially read the step-by-step, easy to
understand guides posted here and here, and perhaps even go so far as to
scream, among the braying and neighing of barnyard animals, to go check my
ISA logs so I can find proof of my own incompetence and clumsiness and
properly configuring a rule to allow it. Oh yes, I can see you, your finger
throbbing with expectation over the mouse button, ready to fire up a
vitriolic message.

But no, no, I assure you, this seems different. It should not even concern
ISA Server, but rather, just the Firewall Client.

I have recently moved to a new workstation at work here, and while
reinstalling my stuff, I decided to pay windowsupdate.com a visit, for it
would be more efficient than just trying to bear the excruciatingly wrongly
configured SUS server here, which is not exactly working. To much of my
surprise, it worked fine. My workstation is currently NAT'ed through the
Netscreen, so I have no need for the Firewall Client to be installed right
now.

Yesterday, I installed the firewall client, for support, thrills, kicks and
excitement about seeing my winsock layer and TCP/IP stack brutally violated,
in an unspeakable manner, and surprise surprise, Windows update no longer
works. Not really surprising, I say. It has not been configured in ISA.

But my problem here is this:

   Windows update fails with the same behaviour (error messages and such in
windowsupdate.log) as noted in KB Articles and previous posting - EVEN WHEN
THE ISA CLIENT IS DISABLED.

So get this: Windowsupdate will fail *THE SPLIT SECOND* The Firewall Client
is *installed*. It doesn't have to be actually working or do anything
useful, just be *there*.

And my machine is not going through secureNAT, but plain good old NAT.

And it fails, just as if a firewall of some sort was blocking connections or
something was wrong with BITS. Everything is up to date and patched, I
followed every direction if every KB article - I remind you, it used to
work. Then I installed the Firewall Client, and immediately checked. It
doesn't work now. Even if the Firewall client is disabled on my desktop.

Any ideas?