RE: Windows XP SP2: start L2TP/IPSec IKE negotiation on UDP port 4500 instead of 500

  • From: "Stefaan Pouseele" <stefaan.pouseele@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ISAserver.org Discussion List]'" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 15:49:42 +0100

Hi Tom,

It's the ipsec hack (IPSec passthrough option) that causes trouble, not the
NAT. Apparently, if those sharing devices see outbound traffic to UDP 500
they 'lock' all further IKE/IPSec traffic to the first host who originated
the UDP 500 traffic. Therefore, a second host can't setup another IKE
negotiation.

If we could start the negotiation on UDP 4500 than I think that those
sharing devices will not be aware that it is in fact also IKE/IPSec traffic
and therefore will handle that traffic as 'normal' traffic.

Thanks,
Stefaan