Re: WinXP Vulnerability

  • From: "Jim Harrison" <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 20:01:48 -0700

..and the answer to the question is:
Get WinXP SP1
..now

http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/SP/SP1/WXP/EN-US/xpsp1_en_x8
6.exe

 MCP(NT4, W2K), A+, Network+, PCG
 http://isaserver.org/pages/author_index.asp?aut=3
 http://isatools.org
 Read the books!

"Jim Harrison" <jim.nospam@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:uJ8865DWCHA.3476@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
That's ugly!
I tried it on my own system (with a test file, of course), and sure enough;
it was gone.
Apparently, it's job is to remove the data file that gets created when the
hardware help scans your system to upload driver data to MS for the purposes
of locating a suitable driver for your new device.

 MCP(NT4, W2K), A+, Network+, PCG
 http://isaserver.org/pages/author_index.asp?aut=3
 http://isatools.org
 Read the books!

"vagabond" <mail@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Just a quick heads-up as most folk here are fairly security conscious.  This
only applies to WinXP.  It is very serious.

A quick look at www.grc.com/default.htm and
http://www.security.nnov.ru/search/document.asp?docid=3370 outlines the
vulnerability.

As the exploit is "out" now people may begin to encounter it.  There is a
detailed discussion of this on the GRC 'Security' newsgroup (news.grc.com).

In essence, it deletes files on the clicking or execution of a link,
utilising a "feature" of XP's Help Center.

--

vagabond
(originally posted to isaserver group- is that group going to be wound up as