Re: Win2003 ISA Install and Patches

  • From: Jim Harrison <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2003 13:12:48 -0800

Feature Pack 1 in and of itself is not a suportability issue.
Tom and I (and many others) strongly recommend that you install FP1, because of
the plethora of fixes it contains.
Regarding the order, it really doesn't matter; the ISA patch installer is smart
enough to recognize file versions.
The only exception to that is the Error Pages fix; there's no such thing as a
file version for text files.

  Jim Harrison
  MCP(NT4, W2K), A+, Network+, PCG
  http://isaserver.org/Jim_Harrison/
  http://isatools.org
  Read the help / books / articles!

On Thu, 4 Dec 2003 15:00:44 -0500
 "Kincer, Rick" <Rick_Kincer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
http://www.ISAserver.org

Tom,

I just need to clarify something, I read your article on installing ISA on
Windows 2003, thanks by the way, and I noticed you had Feature pack 1 as
needing to be installed, what do you think about installing the list that MS
has on the website: http://www.microsoft.com/isaserver/downloads/, where
they suggest installing the eight patches in the order listed, I have pasted
the list below. Do you think these all should still be done, in order or
not, on a Windows 2003 install?

Thank you!!

Rick

1) ISA Server 2000 Service Pack 1
Install ISA Server Service Pack 1 (SP1) to address specific issues that have
been discovered in ISA Server since its ship date.
Note: SP1 does not install on the ISA Server 120-day trial software.
Released February, 2002

  2) ISA Server 2000 Hotfix for Rules Engine and Potential Web Proxy Service
Crash
Install this hotfix to make sure that some internal users cannot access
blocked Internet sites and to prevent the potential for a Web Proxy service
crash.
Released April, 2002

  3) ISA Server 2000 Security Patch for Unchecked Buffer in Gopher Protocol
Handler
Get information from Microsoft TechNet about an unchecked buffer in the
Gopher protocol handler in ISA Server, and download the patch to remove the
vulnerability.
Released June, 2002

  4) ISA Server 2000 Feature Pack 1
Visit the Microsoft Download Center to download Feature Pack 1.
Released January, 2003

  5) ISA Server 2000 Security Patch for DNS Intrusion Detection Filter
Download this patch for ISA Server to prevent a potential denial of service
when publishing a DNS server.
Released March, 2003

  6) ISA Server 2000 Security Patch for Firewall Service
Download this patch for the Firewall Service to prevent a potential denial
of service when handling responses from remote clients.
Released April, 2003

  7) ISA Server 2000 Required Updates for Windows Server 2003
Visit the Download Center to download updates required for ISA Server to
function properly on computers running Windows Server(tm) 2003.
Released April, 2003

  8) ISA Server 2000 Security Update for Error Pages
A security issue identified in ISA Server 2000 could allow an attacker to
execute a cross-site scripting attack. Help protect your organization by
installing this update.
Released July, 2003