Re: Why can't internal clients access a published TCP server?

  • From: "Wendell W. Pinegar" <Wendell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2001 17:30:36 -0600

MessageSteve,

The applications in question are limited to connecting directly to IP addresses
(no host names are allowed) so the applications have to be configured
independelty for internal and external clients.  Simply allowing the lookback
of a published port would provide a very simple solution (just like any other
hardware Internet firewall).

Of course this would mean that looped back traffic would hit the network 2
times (ouch) but I would be willing do to this in limited form in a few
specialized cases...  but this dosen't look like it's going to happen with ISA
Server so we'll simply have more admin overhead for this app.

Thanks!